January 6, 2017

New Year New Rating Scale!

So I know normally I do my Top 10 Anticipated Book of 201? usually follows right behind my Shera’s Top 10 Books of 201? and New Years Resolutions, Bibliophile Style posts. However, I really haven't had the time to be as thorough as I normally am. In fact, I was so through last year I was able to stalk and anticipate books from the start of the year. Even sleeper books that everyone else has seemed to miss.

So it's coming! Just next week. Likely on Monday.

That said there's something I've been flirting with revamping every year—besides the look of my blog, I know no makeover yet—it's my rating scale. Well more accurately the descriptions of the ratings.

I always say I like my reviews to do the talking, because quite honestly my ratings are a bit different from others. Each new year I do a rough draft of the new ratings and spend weeks on them, and a few times a month of pondering. This time I tried to do it with a clean slate. Thinking on it for an hour and writing them. I've let them sit for a bit to see if I still like them.

I do! I think it helps to reflect better what I think of a rating. (Though the ranter in me wants to write a whole page on what each rating truly means to me!)

So here it is! Whoop!


New rating: 5/5 - Forget obsession this book consumed me.
Old rating: 5/5- Fabulous, a beautiful obsession!


New Rating: 4/5 - A true obsession!
Old rating: 4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it.


New Rating: 3/5 - A solid read despite minor flaws.
Rating: 3/5- Adored it, just a few minor details held it back.


New Rating: 2/5 - It's rough, but there's still some hope.
Old Rating: 2/5- Average/disappointing, library check-out


New rating: 1/5 - Couldn't finish it or wished I hadn't.
Old Rating: 1/5- I couldn't finish it or wish I hadn't

Okay, it's nothing fancy or flashy. It's simple and that's what I wanted. I very much want my review to speak for the rating. I do feel like my "New Rating" describes 2/5 a lot better! I know to a lot of others that rating is awful, but to me it's still a hopeful point. There's enough that's good that either the next book can be better, or just enough food stuff present! Ha-ha! I like to look at it  on the positive side. As long as I don't rate a 1/5 look on the positive side.

So the big question is if I will go back and edit the ratings on my old reviews. No. Because I'm lazy and don't want to go and have to fix them on Goodreads and Amazon as well. Besides the ratings are still the same, the words/description beside them is the only thing that has changed for me.

No comments: