December 19, 2013

Review: Tenjho Tenge Volume 1

Tenjho Tenge (Volume 1) by Oh! Great, 大暮 維人

tenjho tenge volume 1

Genre: Manga
Edition Reviewed: Paperback
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Tenjho Tenge Volume 1

In a school dominated by ruthless martial art teams, one rogue club must fight the odds to stay alive!
At the toughest high school in Tokyo, only the strong survive.
In one unusual school, education takes a backseat to brawling, as warring clubs wreak havoc in the hallways and chaos in the classrooms, all in a bid to be the coolest club in school! Although they often contribute their fair share of chaos, only one group of students stems the tide of violence in this untames outpost: the Juken Club!


Review:

Boobs. Breasts. Tits. Yahoos. Whatever. There I've addressed the supersized lady parts found in this series. To be honest anytime I see an anime or manga with breasts of these proportions I can't take it seriously. They’re there to make me laugh and create a fun drinking game. (You know for every jiggle or "boing" take a shot. This gets you pretty drunk awfully fast with some series . . . ) It was one such drinking game that introduced me to Tenjho Tenge waaaaaaaaay back when. Funny thing was, I was actually interested in the storyline. Yet it's another anime that leaves you hanging. So years later I decided to finally check out the manga to get the full story.

Despite the horribly over large cleavage, the art is really decent. The action scenes play out well and they look great! Too many action manga are actually ruined by the art featured in the action scenes. My only compliant is that all the females tend to look the same, especially in this volume. They've all got mega huge bazookas, but their faces all look the same. I get two of the girls Aya and Maya are sisters, but Bob's girlfriend looks just like them! In fact when I suddenly saw this girl pop up all nude I thought why is Aya getting it on? Oh, and she cut her hair? Despite my irks about the overly done cut out girl looks, I like that the women in this manga can be just as tough as the men. Maya even kicks some serious booty!

Everyone gives me a hard time that I like the anime . . . because of the story. But there is a story! This first volume hints at the past of the school and the council as some punishment is dealt out on Bob and Nagi. Manga about fighting schools are kind of my guilty pleasure, but so few try to do much besides overly big bosomed girls and crazy fights. I enjoy that there's some back story yet to be revealed and that I find each character intriguing. Oh, and if you're a fan of the anime be warned. The anime doesn't play out the nudity, but the manga does. There's lots of violence, smut (which could have been more sexy if the hooters were more realistic, but I know it's not targeted towards me as the audience in mind), and some mysteries!

Sexual Content: Nudity, sex, violence!

 
4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
Volume 12
Volume 13
Volume 14
Volume 15
Volume 16
Volume 17
Volume 18
Volume 19
Volume 20
Volume 21
Volume 22

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
Volume 12
Volume 13
Volume 14
Volume 15
Volume 16
Volume 17
Volume 18
Volume 19
Volume 20
Volume 21
Volume 22
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
Volume 12
Volume 13
Volume 14
Volume 15
Volume 16
Volume 17
Volume 18
Volume 19
Volume 20
Volume 21
Volume 22

No comments: