November 6, 2012

Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, Book 1) by Lish McBride

holdmecloser,necroamncer

Genre: Paranormal Young Adult 
Edition Reviewed: eBook
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?


Review:

It feels like ages since I've read a good YA. Especially one I deem worthy of a 5 star rating. The last two to three YAs I've actually put down and never looked back. After the first two pages of HMC,N I thought "this is fun!" After 20, I had no thoughts. Nothing but shear, undeniable addiction.

McBride is wicked and, oh, so twistedly kooky. Why you ask? McBride takes her dark sense of humor mixes in necromancers, witches, were critters, Faye, vampires, and so much more into a hilarious riot of fun! No really. A girl gets her head chopped off and then is reanimated back to life—as only a head. Despite the horrors of the action, I found myself cracking up most of the time. In fact, the talking head fit right in. Now that is saying something about McBride’s skill at world building. Not too many authors could pull off a talking head.

The evil villain is really creepy and while we never really get to know him, McBride gives us enough of a background to know he just didn't pop up and decided to be evil. It would be great if we got more on Douglass—scary name. However, I feel like the reader is given just enough to know what is going on with him and not bog the book down. Because there is plenty of material here to cover for a fun romance, mystical councils, Sam's mysterious past as he discovers he's a Necromancer, and all of the other characters. This is a title packed with great characters (each on worming their way into my heart), fun plot, and great twists so readers can't get bored!

Forget about the tacky title. Yes, it's a spoof off of a song, but that's another great thing readers will come to love about this series is all the music spoofs. HMC,N has so much to offer readers. It's a title that makes me hold my head up high and say, "Yes I read YA books!" After so many disappointments from YA authors it's nice to get back to loving the genre again. At times I kept thinking, this is better then Harry Potter. For me that's enough of a testimony for a good read than anything else.

Sexual Content: There’s some mature talk, and it’s clear some of the characters get a little “something-something”, but it’s still a clean YA.

 
5/5- Fabulous, a beautiful obsession!


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (1) 
Necromancing the Stone (2)

Paperback | Kindle

Paperback | Kindle

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (1)
Necromancing the Stone (2)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This one was so much fun, I loved it. I can't wait to read the next installment! Great review. :)

Shera (Book Whispers) said...

Thanks, my review for the second one is coming up! I really loved it, even better then the first!

Dazzling Mage said...

I love the title of this book- and I can just *feel* like it's a great book! Can't wait to read it!

Great review!

Shera (Book Whispers) said...

You'll love it!!