May 18, 2015

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, book 1) by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses

Genre: Young Fantasy
(Fairytale Retelling)
Edition Reviewed: eBook
Amazon: Hardcover | Kindle
Goodreads: A Court of Thorns and Roses (1)

When 19-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it ... or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.


Review:

Oh. My. Bookness! It feels like ages since I've been afraid to read a book because it's so good. No really. Every time I had a chance to read A Court of Thorns and Roses it pained me because I knew I wouldn't have enough time in that sitting. I'd have to stop myself! Heck I almost caved and read past midnight on that first night, when I knew I needed sleep for a big day. So painful!

A Court of Thorns and Roses is a PERFECT example of how Young Adult and Adult books merging into perfection create: New Adult. It's such a potent high for a reader of both. Especially since Maas' writing is fabulous in CoTaR. The wonderful growing journey of young adult books flavored with adult themes. Actually . . . I don't like to compare. But . . . I feel like fans of Cruel Beauty who wanted that extra nudge into darkness and seduction (me!) will love CoTaR.

Man I adored Feyre. She could have totally ended up being a stereotype, but Maas has created a unique individual. Life has made her lose hope, become so hateful and warped that she doesn't think twice about taking a life. Of an evil Fae of course. Her journey and development is what I have been begging authors to create. I don't always want to agree with the heroine, but at least I understand her actions. That's fine by me, I enjoy reading about someone. Not a blank slate. Feyre is strong and an independent thinker. She's a huntress, a protector, sometimes a villain, smart, deprecating, caring, ruthless, brave, determined, cray-cray, and basically all kinds of awesome.

The fairytale this is based off is a pretty heavy indicator of where the romance is going and basic storyline. However, it's just like a guideline. Maas has poured so much unique aspects in. The world is amazing and it feels so good to have a totally stable and well created world. Lately it has felt like authors have forgotten how important decent world building is. The story, plot, and world are not deprived of anything. Even with this being a romance in the end. Which lately it feels like if I want a romance, I might as well kissing everything goodbye. While my biggest gripe lately has been how characters fall in love in one book, Maas showcases how it use to be done. How writing so powerful, coupled by a TRUE romance, can get away with it. The story of love here is amazing and it's realism of how people can react to it. (And things don't go perfectly planned.)

My only issue was the last act of the book. It was all brilliant, developing characters and making this a bookworm’s paradise. Then it happened. I realized that this itch I had when a certain villainous type of man showed up and “saved” Feyre. Ah, the bad boy. Yep. What is clearly the beginning of a love triangle. The epicenes of the love story here deserves better. Or maybe I'm just annoyed that EVERYTHING apparently needs some kind of love triangle. I get it, it's a series and it would be just boring for a couple so in love to be the focus. Because apparently that shouldn't be done. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun. But everything was almost perfect. But I felt like the setup for the third wheel was so heavy handed. Even when this guy did ugly despicable things, deep down there were stirrings in Feyre’s heart. So the last amazing Act of this book was read in vocal pissed off commentary. (Yeah, I got some crazy looks in public.) It hurts how much I need the next book, but how it's tempered by fear of that darn love triangle looming ahead.

From beginning to end CoTaR is amazing. My review is missing a lot of points of why A Court of Thorns and Roses is reading perfection! And I'm sure very few readers will be upset about the setup of a love triangle. (OK, maybe to most it’s a very tiny part of the story.) The third wheel is an interesting character . . . it's just the one cliché I had hoped to escape from the series. Tamlin is an amazing character and will forever be one of my favorite book crushes. I love that he comes off rude and awkward, and readers get to discover his true self along with Feyre. Maas has proved to me why I need to give another look at her Throne of Glass series. The writing, emotions, character development, story, and world is the kind of writing that makes me proud to be a flaming bookworm!

Sexual Content: It’s not over the top, but there is sex. Feyre is not a virgin and she owns her sexuality. It’s great to see another female lead (and the first I’ve read in New Adult) to own it. No slut shaming here. Thank you.

 
4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
A Court of Thorns and Roses (1)
Untitled (2)
Untitled (3)

A Court of Thorns and Roses (1)
Untitled (2)
Untitled (3)

A Court of Thorns and Roses (1)
Untitled (2)
Untitled (3)

No comments: