March 13, 2010

Sunday Sweets


This post follows The Story Sirens meme, In My Mailbox. Where everyone takes  at turn to show what yummy books they've bought. I'm posting a little early because I may not be in on Sunday.

I hit borders this week and had quite a surprise, which I'll get to!

The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess, #1)

This is apparently the book that inspired the Disney movie, I decided this would be a good thing to read before I watched the movie.
The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Finally out in paperback! I've been so curious to read this book, now at last it is mine!
Skin Hunger (A Resurrection of Magic, #1)

I have never heard of Skin Hunger, the second book Sacred Scars actually captured my attention. Then a I read about the first 5 pages, really good. Then that silver thing on the cover proclaiming it was a National Book Award Finalist and Holly Blacks praise sold me. (Lets be honest, Holly Black's recommendation alone would have sold me!)
Dreams of the Dead (The Waking, #1)

The Cover sold me, I mean I read the back of the book, it was all the cover. Love at first sight.
Night Tides (Lady of the Lakes)

The cover, agian, captured my attention. However, I did read the first pages and the book discription before making my purchase. 

ONE BY ONE THEY GO MISSING.
AND IN THE LAKE A VOICE CRIES OUT:
"SAVE THEM . . . "
It reminds me of a line from the Watchmen.


Now for my DI (Deseret Industry) books. DI is basically a thriftstore.

Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6)

I've got book one and now book six. It's hardback for $2 it was worth it and it still had the new sticker on it!
Wit'ch Fire (The Banned and the Banished, #1)

So excited about this one! I've been afraid of buying this title for fear of not liking it, now I can finally try it.
Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)


Now for the fun part.

I've finally lost my author event (or is it book signing) virginity! Jessica Day George was at my local Borders store this Friday. I was so bummed out, because the sign proclaimed that she would be signing from 12-2pm, I work tell 4:30pm. The whole work day I just wanted to leave early, take the bad attendance and run. Alas I didn't bring any books for her to sign, dutifully I stuck it out. Then, after work, went to Borders for some comfort purchases. To my surprise when I walked in I noticed a chick sitting at a table and signing books! The Gods had smiled upon me, Jessica Day George was signing until 6pm! (I should take this time to state I apparently read the wrong signing times. ^_-) So I ended up buying all three of her Dragon books for her to sign. (I already have the first two, but heck it's my first signed books, my splurge is justified.)

Dragon SlippersDragon FlightDragon Spear
I'm a really shy person when I first meet people, but I did attempt to make a little chit-chat. Sure it was about names, really lame I know, but I had Jessica Day George semi shouting “She-ra Princess of Power.” Arm raise and everything. Made my day!


So now I have her awesome (pink) signature in my books, with cool dragon stamp. George's signature is so cool looking, it makes me wonder what other author signature's look like.

Oh, and I got a cool book mark with a picture of George on it and all of her books. Which brings my attention to her other books. I had no idea that she had any other books, now I have to look into them.

Sun and Moon, Ice and SnowPrincess of Glass

So now that I've bragged to all of you about my great fortune. I'm going to find other people to bombard and shout the awesomeness that occurred on Friday. I'm sure my family is hoping my memory will fail and I'll stop ranting about it.

In between bragging, I can't wait to see what everyone else got!

13 comments:

Kari Olson said...

The Cover of Dreams of the Dead sold me too! I saw it at Borders and was like whoaaaa I want. Then I read the back and it was dead set in my pile. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but it looks great. I also have heard great things about Skin Hunger- it, too, is on my shelf.

Enjoy all your books this week!

Kathy Martin said...

I'm glad you got to get some books autographed. I would love to get copies of Jessica Day George's books signed. I really liked the first series. I haven't read the other two yet either.

Your other books look really good too. Happy reading!

Little Miss Becky :) said...

I remember hearing about Dreams of the Dead awhile ago---hoping I can track down a copy. Sun & Moon, Ice & Snow looks really good. Enjoy these!

Dazzling Mage said...

Lovely books this week! Skin Hunger looks amazing.

Happy reading!

Jess Haines said...

Very nice on the book signing!

I'm curious about Witch Fire. I think I've got that on my shelf, one of those books someone loaned to me that I haven't gotten around to yet. Will you be reviewing it on your blog? Or any of the other books?

-J

Eli said...

I reaaaally want Skin Hunger, so I hope you enjoy reading it! It looks amazing. :)

Alayne said...

I've been wanting to read The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Hope you like it! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

Shera (Book Whispers) said...

Kathy- I wish I would have thought to buy some extra copies for her to sign. Maybe I could have did a give away. Go figure I think of that now!! Gosh, I feel completely stupid! (I'm too selfish to offer up one of my signed copies. ^_-)

Jess- I totally plan on reading Wit'ch Fire and of course reviewing it. Right after I finish Shiver and then The Frog Princess. I've been curious about it for too long, I won't put it off! I plan on getting to all of these books and eventually reviewing them, but if anyone takes a gander at my TBR pile in goodreads it's huge. I randomly select books by what ever catches my eye on my many shelves. (Though if someone requests a title I do try to read it.)

Glad to hear all of this good praise for Skin Hunger, I was afraid I had bought a dud.

Thanks for all the comments, they brighten my day and put a ridiculous smile on my face!

Lizzy said...

I really like that cover to Forest of Hands and Teeth. In fact, I wish I had gotten that one instead haha. Enjoy your books!

Stephanie said...

Wow! What a haul -- and these look great. I am in love with the artwork on that dragon trilogy.

Morgan said...

Wow, great books! I've been wanting to read The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Hope you enjoy them all!

Unknown said...

I've wanted to read Forest of Hands and Teeth for ages and it's been on my shelf gathering dust. I really should read it soon. Glad you had a good time at your first book signing! Have a great reading week :)

Lori said...

Wow, you did well. I am loving some of the art work on those covers. Enjoy your books. Here'smine