July 7, 2017

Review: The Alchemists of Loom

The Alchemists of Loom (Loom Saga, book 1) by Elise Kova

GThe Alchemists of Loom  (Loom Saga #1)enre: Steampunk
Edition Reviewed: Ebook
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: The Alchemists of Loom (1)

Her vengeance. His vision.

Ari lost everything she once loved when the Five Guilds’ resistance fell to the Dragon King. Now, she uses her unparalleled gift for clockwork machinery in tandem with notoriously unscrupulous morals to contribute to a thriving underground organ market. There isn’t a place on Loom that is secure from the engineer turned thief, and her magical talents are sold to the highest bidder as long as the job defies their Dragon oppressors.

Cvareh would do anything to see his sister usurp the Dragon King and sit on the throne. His family’s house has endured the shame of being the lowest rung in the Dragons’ society for far too long. The Alchemist Guild, down on Loom, may just hold the key to putting his kin in power, if Cvareh can get to them before the Dragon King’s assassins.

When Ari stumbles upon a wounded Cvareh, she sees an opportunity to slaughter an enemy and make a profit off his corpse. But the Dragon sees an opportunity to navigate Loom with the best person to get him where he wants to go.

He offers her the one thing Ari can’t refuse: A wish of her greatest desire, if she brings him to the Alchemists of Loom.


Review:

After the Air Awakens series I honestly thought I would never pick up another Lisa Kova book again. (No really check out my review of Fire Falling.) Thankfully Alchemists of Loom wasn't just a pretty cover with a fun idea. It turned into an awesome story with amazing characters! Yeah!

The POV changes between leads Arianna, Cvareh, Florence, and some other cast members. Most importantly Leona who was a pretty awesome Mistress of Evil. He-he. I love a good Mistress of Evil. Because if or when they get what they deserve you kind of feel bad that you don't want them to go, but then you're just as blood thirsty for them to day. Talk about mixed up feelings! Good evil villains are like that.

I will admit that the characters took a bit to grow on me. Arianna felt more like non-stop grumpiness than a character to care about. However, once the characters do develop it's a true treat. Not to mention that the clear love connections about to happen aren't rushed and are given due course to start to build. After all this is a series, no point in rushing the emotions. (Though I do have second book phobia with Kova. Please don't burn me woman!)

I also truly loved the world and the plot. It's so unique and complex. It also really brings something fresh to steampunk. I won't lie, I haven't read that much steampunk so take it with a grain of salt. It is all unique though and I like the idea of twisting the names of things we are familiar with and making them new. Dragons, Chimera, and Alchemists. Okay, so alchemists are kind of what we think they should be.

The wit and ingenuity of the characters was a treat. Not to mention when they interacted with one another. Good and evil isn't so cut and dry here. Some of the good guys are even essentially at times villains. I like that the world is so brutal and rough. If you do notice how long it took me to read this book it's nothing against it, I really wanted to read it! (Health issues prevented me from doing so.) I did pick up a number of grammar errors, but all minor and really this book is very professional. The only warnings I'd truly flag it for is having a cliffhanger, not too bad of one. Also, there is a guide at the back for pronouncing names and such. It's there! Yeah! Wish I'd had found it, but I was Ereading it. I'm so happy how soon the next book is coming out!!!

Content Warning: Some homosexual themes, nothing explicit. Some “racial” slurs and such between the species of the world. Graphic violence and foul language. Basically a good time. ^_-

  
4/5 - A true obsession! (Yes, I did just rate a Kova book that high!)


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
The Alchemists of Loom (1)
The Dragons of Nova (2)
The Rebels of Gold (3)       

The Alchemists of Loom (1)
The Dragons of Nova (2)
The Rebels of Gold (3) 
The Alchemists of Loom (1)
The Dragons of Nova (2)
The Rebels of Gold (3) 

No comments: