July 18, 2017

Review: The Black Lily

The Black Lily (Vampire Blood, book 1) by Juliette Cross

The Black Lily  (Vampire Blood #1)Genre: Paranormal Romance
Edition Reviewed: Ebook
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: The Black Lily (1)

 

Cinderella like you’ve never seen before…

With the threat of the vampire monarchy becoming stronger every day, the Black Lily must take drastic measures. As the leader of the underground resistance, Arabelle concocts the perfect idea to gain the attention of the Glass Tower. Her plan? Attend the vampire prince’s blood ball and kill him. Fortunately for Prince Marius, her assassination goes awry, and Arabelle flees, leaving behind only her dagger.

Marius is desperate to find the woman whose kiss turned into attempted murder, hunting for the mysterious assassin he can’t push out of his mind. But what he uncovers could change the course of his life forever…


Review:

Apparently it was not the first chapter of this book I read that captured my attention, I wish I knew which book it was. All the glowing reviews from Goodreads Friends and the promise of a vampire historical romance retelling Cinderella had me. Sadly after the first few chapters things went south for me. It's nothing against the writer. The writing is good and the banter is fun. The sad truth is that once you've read so many romance titles it gets old and even vampire love follows standard clichés. I know I haven't read as many as others, but apparently I'm reaching a limit for myself. I'm finding myself the same way with erotica. It now takes more to capture my attention.

The Black Lily did sport a fun cast of characters. They have great chemistry, but you can find them in any romance novel. This book held no surprises and I predicted the entire storyline for the book. Even predicted the next book. Who the next couple was and how things would go. I asked a friend and I guessed it all right.

The writing is decent and pretty clever at a few turns. I think that from the glowing reviews there is an audience for it. Sadly it's not me. I've just read too many Paranormal Romance titles and for me that means checking off the boxes for things romances with fangs need. Predictable isn't always a good thing and I wasn't in the mood for an easy read.

Content Warning: Sexual humor, tame sex scenes, brutal murders, killings, and the birth of an uprising. Oh, and a horrible cover. Maybe that was my warning. ^_- JK, some of my fave books have bad covers . . . though tacky dragons that could have been done better are different.

 
1/5 - Couldn't finish it or wished I hadn't.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
The Black Lily (1)
The Red Lily (2)       

The Black Lily (1)
The Red Lily (2)
The Black Lily (1)
The Red Lily (2)

No comments: