November 15, 2016

Review: Magic Binds

Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, book 9) by Kate Daniels

Magic Binds  (Kate Daniels #9)

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Edition Reviewed: Ebook
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Magic Binds (1)

Mercenary Kate Daniels knows all too well that magic in post-Shift Atlanta is a dangerous business. But nothing she’s faced could have prepared her for this…

Kate and the former Beast Lord Curran Lennart are finally making their relationship official. But there are some steep obstacles standing in the way of their walk to the altar…

Kate’s father, Roland, has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and is slowly bleeding him dry in his never-ending bid for power. A Witch Oracle has predicted that if Kate marries the man she loves, Atlanta will burn and she will lose him forever. And the only person Kate can ask for help is long dead.

The odds are impossible. The future is grim. But Kate Daniels has never been one to play by the rules…


Review:

“So far I had the god of evil and the god of terror on my side. My good-guy image was taking a serious beating. Maybe I should recruit some unicorns or kittens with rainbow powers to even us out.”

Another solid and awesome entry to one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series. Well one of my favorite series period. This one was a bit more predictable I admit. However, I like that it showcased Kate and Curran's trust in one another. Their discussions and relationship is so real. That's always been the greatest appeal of them and the story in the Kate Daniels verse. Well that and awesome characters with tons of depth! Boom! Of course we can't forget the witty banter.

I did enjoy that Kate got some revenge on Curran when he did THAT THING WHICH I WILL NOT TALK ABOUT that he did behind her back without her knowledge. Which is about time. (No matter what's happened after I'm still kind of steaming about it.) Of course I don't think he suffered as much. (What can I say I'm blood thirsty!)

The true joy of Magic Binds is the side characters. Roman is pretty present and is the force behind getting Kate's wedding planned. Yes. It is every bit of epic as you could imagine. Finally Curran gets his eyes open in regards to Jim. I have never liked Jim so I say it's about time. Each book he becomes an even bigger ass. The Andrews team is slowly wooing me into Derek and Julie relationship. (That's not a spoiler, if you guys are this far in you can't have not noticed the queues. If they don't end up together that will be the big shock.) Andrea starts out preggos and not by the end of the book! Yeah! So fun. Big reveals for many characters, old ones brought back, and so on. Truly a blast and for me where the real awesome aspects of the story lay.

It's really interesting watching Roland and Kate battle it out. Kate finding out how much she truly doesn't know about her powers and the land. Not to mention the struggle to change the future so that Curran and their not yet conceived son don't end up getting killed. It's an emotional wild ride that has the whole fate of Atlanta hanging the balance.

The Guild and the people there have always been something that interests me and I really wished they could have had even more time. Magic Binds felt more like a setup and a stepping stone to get to the boss fight.

At the end of this book my biggest question is what exactly happened to the flying horse? That after all was the closest thing to rainbow powers Kate got.

Content Warning: Sex scenes, but they're not graphic. The usual Kate humor and the violence. There's some minor cannibalism (wow, I've read enough cannibalistic books that I now use "minor" to describe it!). Brainwashed victim. Nothing shocking.

 
4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:

Magic Bites (1)
Magic Burns (2)
Magic Strikes (3)
Magic Bleeds (4)
Magic Slays (5)
Gunmetal Magic (5.5)
Magic Rises (6)
Magic Breaks (7)
Magic Shifts (8)
Untitled (9)
Untitled (10)


Magic Bites (1)
Magic Burns (2)
Magic Strikes (3)
Magic Bleeds (4)
Magic Slays (5)
Gunmetal Magic (5.5)
Magic Rises (6)
Magic Breaks (7)
Magic Shifts (8)
Untitled (9)
Untitled (10)

Magic Bites (1)
Magic Burns (2)
Magic Strikes (3)
Magic Bleeds (4)
Magic Slays (5)
Gunmetal Magic (5.5)
Magic Rises (6)
Magic Breaks (7)
Magic Shifts (8)
Untitled (9)
Untitled (10)

No comments: