May 17, 2016

Review: Sailor Moon Volume 6

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 6 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Editions, book 6) by Naoko Takeuchi

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 6

Genre: Manga
Edition Reviewed: Paperback
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Sailor Moon Volume 6

Just when all seems well again in the world, another enemy appears. Two new figures from the private school Mugen Academy appear and take a special interest in Sailor Moon and company. Who are they, and do they have anything to do with the strange occurrences that are suddenly taking place? Meanwhile, the appearance of two new Guardians takes everyone by surprise as our favorite Sailor heroes must once again face off against new enemies to save the world.


Review:

Meh. To be honest this took me a long time to read. Each time I picked it up I'd get maybe 10 pages in, become bored and drop it. Then repeated that process for about a year. The problem within those first 10 pages was that it had become apparent things were not going to develop how I'd hoped volume 5 had teased. Deep down I knew volume 6 would not pickup.

In a way I was right to a degree. After the lackluster of the Black Crystal arc, it's time to move on. A lot of new characters, ideas, and new villains are introduced. Reminding me what I don't enjoy about certain Shojo works. Basic ideas with no development.

The promise is here, but sadly not truly explored. And considering how fast these volumes go—and arcs—the likelihood of any of it developing beyond more than just an idea is slim.

Usagi at the beginning seemed to be the same. Especially the whole relationship between Mamoru, Usagi, and Chibiusa. AT first Usagi is frustratingly jealous of her daughter and Mamoru's relationship again. There are subtle changes with Usagi showing a bit more affection towards Usagi, so that's something. Mamoru and Chibiusa don't seem as incestuous, thank goodness. (That's a big something for me.) In fact I'm finally seeing Usagi and Mamoru as more big siblings, which is a relief. Though I do find some of Mamoru and Usagi's romance cold at times, they do have some very warm moments that make up for it later.

This issue shows that Takeuchi has definitely mastered her skills as a manga artist and her style. It's beautiful and I love it. In fact, I can see how it influenced A LOT of manga visually.

Also, I like what this volume is doing with gender bending. The real questions aren't answered, and I fear won't be developed and it will act as more of a gimmick for the series. In the end I can only hope that the next volumes can do more. The core Sailor Senshi feel like puppets, and while used here, are clearly getting left behind. They're falling victim to side character neglect, and being left behind for new characters. Even the cliffhanger felt boring because I called it in my last review. Trudging on.

Sexual Content: Hmmm, I suppose gender bender is here. Woman dressing like a guy. The lesbian/homosexual themes are very minor and probably hard to pick up. Some smooching.

  
1/5- I couldn't finish it or wish I hadn't.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:

Sailor Moon Volume 1
Sailor Moon Volume 2
Sailor Moon Volume 3
Sailor Moon Volume 4
Sailor Moon Volume 5
Sailor Moon Volume 6
Sailor Moon Volume 7
Sailor Moon Volume 8
Sailor Moon Volume 9
Sailor Moon Volume 10
Sailor Moon Volume 11
Sailor Moon Volume 12

Sailor Moon Volume 1
Sailor Moon Volume 2
Sailor Moon Volume 3
Sailor Moon Volume 4
Sailor Moon Volume 5
Sailor Moon Volume 6
Sailor Moon Volume 7
Sailor Moon Volume 8
Sailor Moon Volume 9
Sailor Moon Volume 10
Sailor Moon Volume 11
Sailor Moon Volume 12

Sailor Moon Volume 1
Sailor Moon Volume 2
Sailor Moon Volume 3
Sailor Moon Volume 4
Sailor Moon Volume 5
Sailor Moon Volume 6
Sailor Moon Volume 7
Sailor Moon Volume 8
Sailor Moon Volume 9
Sailor Moon Volume 10
Sailor Moon Volume 11
Sailor Moon Volume 12

No comments: